Monday, December 30, 2013

The Fourth Day of Christmas

On the fourth day of Christmas, my YAV year gave to me, 4 pounds of tomatoes thanks to our friend Kris!

Saturdays are my day off.  I was sitting in front of the computer on the 28th, minding my own business when I got a text message from our neighbor and friend Kris who said " If you can drive to the farmer's market, today is the day to go, it's the last day for the tomato guy." 

Image taken from http://mixedgreensblog.com/2012/09/10/seasons-eatings/basic-recipes-on-the-local-table/savoring-every-tomato-every-sunset/

I looked up how to get there on the internet and got to biking.  It wasn't too cold.  Just like all my biking trips in Boston, I got lost only once, and wandered in to an establishment with my wind blown crazy hair and sweaty back to ask directions.  They got me back on track and I found it. 

Let me tell you tomatoes are a hot item this time of year because they aren't in season.  This guy grew them in a greenhouse.  I bought 25 of them which are now tomato sauce.

Eating seasonally has changed me.  Who have I become that I'd bike four miles in the New England winter with a tip of local tomatoes? I sure wouldn't have last December 28.

I also want to mention how big a help Kris has been.  She works at athena health and is our local food guru.  She's been inspired by the Living More with Less book and the Why Food Matters book, and even the Bible to eat more healthily.  She's helped me see how this local eating thing, and protecting the environment is actually something God wants us to do.  Kris is part of the Boston Faith and Justice Network and has spoken at their events with me.  She is a great addition to our YAV Food Justice League.  She's even let us use space in her deep freezer and root cellar to get through the winter.

She invited us over for dinner the 26th with her original chlli recipe from all local ingredients.  If you ever had a doubt about treating the earth right with our food as a holy discipline, just talk to Kris and she'll set you straight. God left us in charge of this Earth, and ever since the first old testament prophets we've been commanded to care for the widdows, orphans, and poor who can't help themselves.  Our food system is hurting and exploiting the widows, orphans, and poor, and the planet and we need to stop it.  God says so.  That's the long and short of it.

Thank you Kris for all your support and guidance in our food justice missions!

No comments:

Post a Comment