Friday, May 30, 2014

She's asking for money. What should I do?

In the city you see people begging for money.  The panhandlers.  Some people privileged enough never to have been in that position tell me they're liars that have their social security or veterans check waiting at home.  My uncle says you can tell they aren't poor because their shoes match.  Some people don't believe they are poor and needy.  I'll be honest, I don't know if they are.  Some may be, some may not be.

I'd say the first three months up here in Bean-town I kept ignoring all these people, but then I kept feeling guilty that I kept ignoring people that may be in need.  I've started to make it a point to acknowledge the panhandlers by saying hi, ask how they're doing and start a conversation.

I've seen personally, that a few are drunk, some sober, some have mental illness, some are just down on their luck, some are cheating the system, some just open up and tell you way more than you care to hear.  Most of them say it's embarrasing to beg like that.  Part of it's fun to throw them off by speaking to them, maybe even sitting down beside them, especially if I'm all clean shaven in my tie.  Somehow since they are seeking your attention it feels less awkward to talk to them than someone walking next to you.  But really, my thought is if they're on the street, they probably don't have a good support system, and since they're in Boston they get ignored by billions of people that pass without acknowledging them--most everyone here gets ignored by everyone else.

We're all part of God's body, the absolute least I should do is recognize another member of this body, right?    I'd even say we're called to feed, clothe, and take care of those without.  (Matthew 25 starting at verse 21) Lord when did we see you?..."When you do unto the least of these, you do unto me."

So why not start looking out for our brothers and sisters, especially those publicly claiming they need money?

Here is a story:

Wednesday walking to the train station from work a woman asked me very urgently, "Please tell me you got a quarter or something so I can get this bus"
I said, "I don't have any cash, but I can take you somewhere and buy you something to eat if you want."
"Can you tap me on this bus?  You going to Copley? Meet me at Back Bay." She rattled off as I almost walked away..  The bus pulled up and stopped.  I didn't even see it coming.

I didn't know what was happening, but the bus was going where I was walking, I had money on my bus card so I got on the bus with her, and paid her and myself.

She kept saying "I ain't got a dime to my name.  I just got back from burying my mother and the shelters aren't like they used to be around here."  She kept telling me she had 12 seizures in 7 days, she's been in the hospital for several weeks.  She showed me where she knocked out some teeth during her last seizure.  She's been begging for money but can't get enough to buy her seizure medicine.

I asked where she needed to go to get the medicine, she explained where the CVS was.  I said I'd take her there and pay for it.  She insisted I should just give her money.  I usually feel better buying something directly for someone than giving out cash.  Who knows what they'll spend it on, and the random times you give a beggar some hot Chinese food instead of a quarter, well it's interesting, ask someone if they need some food and go get them some if they do, you'll see--everyone likes food better than dirty old money.

I kept imagining what in the world I'd do if she had a seizure in front of me while I was helping her get to her medicine.  "Lord don't do that to me" I thought and maybe said out loud.

She kept saying she's been asking God to help her for days and nothing's happened. I said I go with her to buy the meds because I just have my card on me.  She said, "really?!" and kept reminding me of her situation and the seizures. I got a word in that I was sorry to hear about her mother, and she started to talk about how much she missed her mom. We found an ATM, she needed $13 for her seizure medicine so I withdrew a $20 and gave it to her.  While I was at the machine she kept pacing around the place saying "thank you Jesus" and offering praise.  She began talking on her phone to someone that seemed to be the pharmacy to see if the prescription was ready and it seemed to be.  She gave me a hug said thank you so much and walked away with my $20. That's a significant chunk of change as a YAV, but hey it's seizure meds and a reasonable meal if she spends it like I hope she does.

Part of my cynicism wonders if she was lying. I wonder if she'll spend it on booze, or other prescription drugs.  But maybe everything she said was true.  Maybe she'll get some seizure medicine and not loose any more teeth and maybe she found a place to stay tonight because it's cold.  Maybe I'm out $20, but maybe that's what I'd have spent on booze.  My job gave me the money and didn't ask me any questions on how I spent it, why does it matter how she spends it?

Sarah Miles has a lot of good things to say about urban ministry in California.  One thing I remember from one of her talks is, we see people in need, like this and we ask God to send some help, and we wait for someone to pick them up in a taxi, or money to fall from the sky, or whatever.  But maybe God sends us.  Maybe that's how God answers prayers, through us showing compassion. --That's my paraphrase of her in my memory.

Maybe that's what happened, or maybe I got scammed.  God only knows.  I know God's watching over me and this woman the same.

Do any of you readers encounter panhandlers on the street? What do you do? Do you have any certain way that you reach out as God asks us.  Does the idea that they might be lying bother you or hinder that call?  Let me know. I've got mixed feelings.



No comments:

Post a Comment